The Sheffield Grammar School Exhibition Foundation can trace its roots to the £30 per year endowment left by Thomas Smith of Crowland which was used towards the foundation of the Free Grammar School of James King of England in 1604.
By 1888 the Governors of the then Royal Grammar School were extended to include members of the Town Council, the School Board and Firth College (now University of Sheffield) and were awarding educational scholarships. These were made to joiners, artisans and waiters to fund their attendance at the grammar school.
In 1969 the Sheffield grammar school became the King Edward VII School. At this point, the Sheffield Grammar School Exhibition Foundation was formed in order to use the accrued endowments to provide education scholarships to the benefit of the whole city.
Today the Sheffield Grammar Exhibition Foundation has trustees taken from the City Council, Sheffield College and the University of Sheffield, and aims to give educational grants to those living in Sheffield. These range from medical electives, fieldtrips and dyslexia support through to supporting sporting activities and musical training.